Quarry Cemetery is located at Montauban in the Somme.
Montauban village was taken by the 30th and 18th Divisions on 1 July 1916, and remained in Commonwealth hands until the end of March 1918. It was then retaken by the 7th Buffs and the 11t Fusiliers of the 18th Division.
Quarry Cemetery began at an advanced dressing station in July 1916, and was used until February 1917. The Germans buried a few of their dead in plot V in April and May 1918.
At the Armistice the cemetery contained 152 graves in the present plots V and VI. It's size then increased when graves were brought in from the battlefields around Montauban - almost all killed July to December 1916.
Quarry Cemetery now contains 740 Commonwealth burials and commemorations. Of these 157 burials are unidentified, but there are special memorials to 7 known or believed to be buried amongst them. Other special memorials commemorate 19 soldiers buried in Quarry Scottish Cemetery, Green Dump Cemetery and Caterpillar Wood Cemetery No.2 whose graves could not be found on concentration. The cemetery also contains 16 war graves of other nationalities. The total of identified graves is 597.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.
GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 50.01419 Longitude: 2.78133