Northern Ireland (Ulster) paid a heavy price in an effort to secure world peace during the First World War.
In 1921 the people of France gave to the people of Northern Ireland this portion of the Somme Battlefield at Thiepval.
The Ulster Memorial Tower was constructed on the remains of the German front line that was captured by the 36th (Ulster) Division on 1 July 1916.
Commissioned by the Northern Ireland Government, and paid for by public subscription throughout Northern Ireland, the Tower was the first National War Memorial to be constructed on the Western Front and was dedicated on Saturday 19 November 1921.
The Tower is a replica of Helen’s Tower which stands proudly overlooking the Clandeboye Estate near Bangor, County Down, seat of the Marquesses of Dufferin and Ava. The Ulster Division did much of its training at Clandeboye so it was decided that this prominent landmark that would have been so well known to the men of the Division would be a fitting memorial.
"The Ulster Memorial Tower is dedicated to the Glory of God in grateful memory of the officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the 36th (Ulster) Division and the sons of Ulster in other forces who laid down their lives in the Great War and of all their comrades in arms who by divine grace were spared to testify to their glorious deeds."